Thursday, June 11, 2009

Favortie(ish) Book this year


This year we read four books. Truth to be told I did not like most of them all that much. So I am going to pick The Crucible by Arthur Miller. This book was based on the time of the Salem Witch Trials, in Massachusetts. Betty was found in her bed in a rambling coma. Her father Reverend Parris is worried that the town will find out and start rumors. There is a girl named Abbigal (Abby) and she is in love with an older man named John Proctor. John goes into the bedroom to see how Betty is doing and he gets suduced by Abby. What most of the town does not know is that John and Abby had a "relationship" not to long ago. When Betty, Abby and a few other girls are alone in Bettty's room Betty starts to ramble about the night before and how they were in the woods doing evil with Tituba and she was going to tell. Abby did not want anybody to know so she hit Betty. Then, Betty started to ramble about how she was going to go and fly to her dead mother.

The girls got accused of doing the devils work so to save thier lives the girls started rambling about how women were witches and they were coming to them in their sleep, and making them do what they had been doing. Abby took it to another level and used the accusations for her own good and had Mary Warren give a doll to Elizabeth Proctor (John Proctor's wife). The doll was found by a person of the court and she was taken away to the jail. Abby wanted John to herself and this was the best way she could think of doing so.
In the end of the book some of the "witches" are hung but not the main characters. Thanks to their husbands.

I enjoyed this book because I enjoy the past. I think that everybody can learn from their past and the past of the world. This book was based on the Salem Witch Trails and I think that that is one of the top ten imporant things that everybody should learn about. I think that this book teaches me and other people that one single lie no matter how small or how large can affect the lives of the people around you.

I am trying to teach my son not to lie. No matter how much trouble he ever gets into I always want him to come to me and his dad. I think that if I teach him this we will have a better relationship that I had with my parents. If I tell the whole truth to my son, I hope he will do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment